Tuesday 7 October 2014

Experiments in hard cap wig-making

I've been experimenting with making a hard cap wig recently, and these are the results of my first try. I used Cygnet Double Knitting yarn in shade 146 M. O. Pearl for the weft and Mod Podge for the glue.

I made it to fit Christine, my Lishe. The main difference between hard cap wigs and other normal doll wigs is that the hard cap is made to fit the doll precisely.

The method I used is similar to papier mache, only using small strips of cotton with Mod Podge Matt, a water-based PVA and acrylic varnish glue that dries to a clear matt finish. The finished cap fits very snuggly onto Christine's head and cannot be easily dislodged - I can hold her upside down and shake her, and the wig stays put.






I made a centre parting for the wig by cutting out a small slit then inserting wefts into the slit, gluing to the underside of the cap before folding over the top. Once all the glue had dried, I then glued more cotton fabric over the slit to hold it tightly closed so it would keep a good fit.

I finished off by styling the wig into a simple braid.









View from the back. The Cygnet yarn was separated out, carded, brushed and then ironed smooth; it results in a wonderfully soft "hair" with gorgeous pastel colours.















I shall shortly be posting a tutorial on how to make a hard cap wig using jersey fabric and saran hair - watch this space!

No comments: